Saturday, January 30, 2016

There's something special about DIY.

Think of when you were a little kid. You'd play with Lego's and build stuff, say a house. When you were done, what did you do? You were probably proud of yourself after all the work you put in. These are some of the first interactions people have when it comes to DIY, (or do-it-yourself), projects.

There's always been that feeling of self-satisfaction when it comes to making things with your own two hands. That's probably part of the reason IKEA is so popular. You buy the furniture there, bring it home, and assemble it yourself. There's just something about it that makes you say to yourself "I did this. I built something that I can actually use."

Sometimes though, it's not always about building. It could be crafts, or even cooking with a recipe you made yourself (or no recipe at all). The website Pinterest has become a very popular source for people finding things to make at home. People all over the world can share their recipes and craft ideas for people to try at home. It's an easy to browse site, making it very accessible to people of all ages. It makes it very easy for people to share and connect together, and the site is currently a big part of our pop culture.


My custom built PC.
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 970
RAM: 8GB
Then you have some more complicated projects, like PC building. The world of custom PC building is particularly popular in the gaming community. Parts are purchased from various retailers online, and then the consumer will take them and assemble all the parts and get them working together. I myself have built my own PC (and am currently typing this blog on it as well), and it can be a very satisfying experience. I was able to get the exact parts I wanted, so I could get the computer to perform exactly as I intended. Lately, I've been playing through Rise of the Tomb Raider and Fable: The Lost Chapters on it.
Even more involved than that, you then run into things like woodworking projects. These can be anything from shelves, to tables, cabinets, clocks, you name it. Personally, I'm always really impressed by the projects people can make out of nothing but tools, wood, and a bit of skill and imagination. I always find cool woodworking projects on /r/woodworking and /r/DIY on Reddit. 

Speaking of Reddit, say hello to Snoo and the Falcon!





Even if you've never really been into doing things yourself, do yourself the favor and try it out. You never know what you're capable of until you try something like this out, you could surprise yourself! Engage in it, and immerse yourself in this really interesting form of pop culture you may not have even known you enjoyed.

Here's a WIP model of an arcade machine I'll be building in the near future.
It's designed to be played on a coffee table or a desk, instead of a traditional
full sized cabinet.

No comments:

Post a Comment