Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Culture Everywhere

I cannot imagine a life without popular culture. From radio to television, the movie theater and the book shelf, the whole world is saturated in stories, images, characters and plot lines.Its impossible to escape it, but who would want to? It adds flavor to life and allows people to escape the world while being submersed in it.

Some of my favorite parts of popular culture in the U.S. are borrowed from other countries, such as the British with Monty Python,The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Doctor Who, and from Japan such as anime. Though I am a fan of old TV westerns and wolverine comics. Some of the best comics I've ever read have been by Allen Moore such as The Watchmen and V for Vendetta. I used to read more when I was younger, popular books such as Harry Potter, and the Chronicles of Narnia. My favorite horror franchise is Hellraiser, though for horror trilogies it would be Gingersnaps. I'm pretty fluent in memes though I should make more of an effort to keep up on the news.

Culture means entertainment to me. Life would be plain boring without it. In some ways it unites us, especially in these more modern days with Internet and television. Our culture travels across seas while getting foreign culture in return.

I am excited to see how history has effected culture as well as investigate different cultures in America. I look forward to discovering new things to be interested in this class.

No comments:

Post a Comment