Monday, January 25, 2016

“Poor people lose. Poor people lose all the time” —Steven Avery



Image result for making a murdererPopular Culture has evolved so much over the years, and as it continues to change and topics continue to generate or become "hot topics", its something that will never get boring. Because Popular Culture is directed at general masses of people, I typically do not find myself doing the research I should on the topics that interest me. There have been rare occasions in the past few months where the research, discussions and analyzing of a topic in Pop Culture have been on par, and thats probably because I find myself almost obsessive over them.

The most interesting topic (at least in my mind) that has become a topic of discussion for many people is the Netflix Docuseries, Making a Murderer. After binge watching all 10 episodes in the series, I still find myself looking for answers. . The information presented is so fascinating to me, an not only leaves room for interpretation, the series leaves you with the need to know more. From corruption in the justice system of Manitowoc County to who is responsible for the crimes committed, I have yet to find a solution that 100% fits, makes sense and could be argued.  Steven Avery has a valid point when he says, “Poor people lose. Poor people lose all the time”. He's currently sitting in jail for a crime he most likely did not commit. The worst part, this isn't the first time. Justice, right?

I digress. Its important to engage in popular culture because it provides an easy connection to other people in society. Regardless of who you are, where you are or what you're doing, topics in pop culture give you a topic of conversation to those around you. Although we're all very different and have different tastes or interests, there is more likely than not something that you can discuss with anyone based on pop culture. With the internet allowing things to go viral, its hard to miss the things that appeal to the general masses of people.

Image result for donald trumpI'm anticipating to learn not only what you can get out of topics in pop culture and how they can broaden your horizons, but to start to be analytical in more aspects than excel spreadsheets. We're in the middle of a campaign for the Presidential Election.  Although much of the high level snap shot contains Trump, there is so much more to the primaries that I just haven't bothered to educate myself on. Side note - isnt it interesting that the title of my post can relate to the presidential election, too? Steven Avery spoke about poor people losing in the justice system, but if you're a poor (or not wealthy in fundraising) candidate for president, can you win?

Nothing gives you a leg up in conversation like being prepared to discuss all topics at some length. I anticipate learning to be diverse in what pop culture catches my eye. I also anticipate taking the things that catch my eye and putting some meat  behind a headline by understanding the proper search methods and grasping the important information.

No comments:

Post a Comment