Saturday, January 30, 2016

Music Tells Your Story

Music truly can speak to your soul. It allows you to relax, or gets you in the mood to dance. It can be happy or sad, upbeat or slow. No matter what type of music it is there is something for everyone. As for me, I listen to a wide variety of music to speak to whatever mood I may be in.  The great thing about music is there is always something to be able to listen to fit any need, and my IPod is a random mix of everything to do just that.

When I am "mad" my go to music is super angsty. Think Taking Back Sunday, or Four Year strong. Something about that rock, or post-hardcore music allows me to relieve my stress. I will go on drives and blare it to clear my mind, and it works! Being able to connect with the emotions of the lyrics allow me to realize how miniscule my problems are.

Then there's my sad moods. Enter Adele. Is there anything that girl can't sing? I mean really. She speaks to my soul. I'm happily married, but that girl can make you feel like you just broke up. It doesn't really make sense to be happy and listen to depressing lyrics, but again it's the connection to the lyrics that really seem to brighten my mood.

Ready to turn up? I have everything from JayZ and Rihanna, to NSync and One Direction. Judge me if you may. But honestly, this is my happy music. This is the dance along, sing along music. This is also my workout playlist. Those fast dancing songs that keep you on pace during a miserable run, and it somehow seems to make it go faster.

Lastly, and most importantly to me is country music. As a backstory, I heard country and went straight to Johnny Cash - but country has evolved so much, so PLEASE don't knock it until you try it. Country music (for me) has it all. Happy, sad, angry - and it all is so fitting to me. I never liked it until I moved to Missouri and met my husband. Now it is everything to me. The lyrics tell a story ( and no not the whole "My wife left me so I'm sitting in my truck it my dog...though those still do exist), and are extremely relatable. What I like best is that there are so many "party" anthems in country now. For example, my last year's favorite was Lee Brice's "Drinking Class" which was about the working class getting out on Friday and having a drink. I mean, it's simple music like that that is so incredibly relatable. Take a listen if you're interested - keep an open mind y'all.. you never know you just may like it.
What's so great about music is that it will continue to evolve. There will always be something for everyone. Regardless of status, color, age you will be able to connect with the lyrics in music. Happy listening everyone! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment