Saturday, January 23, 2016

Pop Culture - Music, Fashion, and Style


Ever since I was a young child I have loved music. I remember sitting in the back seat of my parents car and listening to whatever they happened to have on the radio. I eventually started to develop my own wide-ranging taste in music, which includes Bob Dylan, U2, Tom Waits, Pavement, Pearl Jam, Florence and the Machine and even old school Bossa Nova. On of my favorites was David Bowie, who died last week, studying his career would give one a good sense of what was happening in popular culture over the last forty years as he was consistently ahead of his time. Here's a great video someone created which embodies many of David Bowies changing styles! It's also a great song.


Music is an important part of my life. It’s something I can take with me wherever I go, whether it’s to the gym, on my way to work or at home. Music can also affect a mood or create a mood. It can motivate me, calm me down after a stressful day or create whatever atmosphere your looking for. I also find it interesting how fashion is closely associated with particular music, 70s rock, 80s pop and early 90s grunge definitely conjure up specific styles. I think this course will allow me to understand how music can affect our society as well as how society can influence musical styles and movements. Today those songs that played in my parent car take me back to my childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment