Sunday, January 19, 2020

Who is the most popular consumer in fashion?

Baker, Renee, et al. "Identifying tween fashion consumers' profile concerning fashion innovativeness, opinion leadership, internet use for apparel shopping, interest in online co-design involvement, and brand commitment." Fashion and Textiles, vol. 6, no. 1, 2019. Gale Academic Onefile, https://link.gale.com/apps/doc/A583933163/AONE?u=mlin_n_danvers&sid=AONE&xid=be7a64fe. Accessed 16 Jan. 2020.


I am familiar with the search process of using the schools database so for me it wasn't too complex of finding an article to my liking. I choose this article in particular because I am very interested in fashion and what makes certain clothes and brands more popular than others. I ended up choosing Gale academic Onefile as my database choice and I have found over the years using the other databases and not just the library's database is more helpful because it provides more sources than what you would find on the library's database. It is also much easier if you do an advanced search because it allows you to use multiple keywords to narrow down the options. 
In this article it discusses the influencers of fashion particularly focusing on the U.S. childrenswear market, fashion adoption theory, and whether or not consumers can be segmented into different groups. This childrenswear market or “tweens” are children ranging from the ages of 7-14, they are responsible for the $43 billion in spending power and apparel represents the primary purchase category. Fashion adoption theory is an individual's decision making process to adopt any given style. Tweens have dominated the consumer market because of their ability to adopt new styles. These consumers can be broken down into different groups fashion innovators, fashion opinion leaders, innovative communicators and fashion followers. These groups are all responsible for the advancement of new trends and styles.
I thought this article was pretty interesting for me personally because it gave me information that I was not familiar with and I actually learned from it. I didn't know that the consumer group was mainly focused around kids ranging from 7-14. I was confused mainly for the reason that probably all of these kids don't make their own money and have to rely on parents to make purchases. So why is it that the people who dont make money are responsible for what is popular in fashion. That just confused me because when I was that age it didn't really peak my interest to wear these “cool” brands and now they are the biggest consumer group.  

No comments:

Post a Comment