Sunday, January 29, 2017

Can You Hear the Music?


Music is a huge part of culture all over the world. It is used to expression emotions, passions, and can even signify major points in history. Music can also represent aspects of the culture it originates from. If you listen to music throughout history it tells a story of that time periods values, likes, dislikes and even trends. Many people interact with music on a daily bases. Music is everywhere from television, radio, social media, commercials, schools, social events, restaurants, and even in office buildings. There are people that simply connect on that general level of interactions and then people who connect much deeper. Some people find music to be fun to dance around and sing too; while some find it deeply emotionally moving.

My personal relationship with music began early in life. I took dance lessons throughout my child hood, which was where my initial relationship with music began. In the beginning, it was fun! I loved dancing to the music and enjoying the moment. When you're that young it is hard not to think upbeat pop music is fun. Many people that feel this way about music usually enjoy it in social institutions, we can call them the social listener for this explanation. This people simply think music is fun!

 As I grew older and fell deeper into the dance world, music began to connect with me on a deeper more meaningful level. At this point music began to inspire me to create and express something bigger. I was no longer just listening because it was "fun", but because it made me feel something, which I would later express in dance. Now not everyone expresses what music makes them feel through dance, there are many different outlets. Everything from poetry, writing, physically expressing emotions, speaking, exercise, and many many more.

I feel that my growing relationship with music easily shows a few different types of relationships that exist. Of course there are many more. For each different artist and genre of music, there are many different relationships. Some listen at the gym to get pumped up, some listen to feel something, some listen to create, some listen to distract them from life, and some listen simply because of the artist creating.

No comments:

Post a Comment