Sunday, March 11, 2018

McDonald's Worldwide


This week, I chose the the McDonald’s “M”, known as the golden arches, for my sign. It is signified by two yellow arches in the shape of an “M”. It signifies McDonalds, the fast food restaurant, the drive through, hamburgers, fries, and broken ice cream machines. The myth surrounding McDonald’s is immense. At the surface, it is seen as fast food, fulfillment, happiness, nostalgia, and satisfaction. Deeper, it is seen as a revolution for the way McDonald’s expanded their business all over the world. Due to its universal appearance and consistency in product, the golden arches are an example of the importance of assigning a brand to a specific logo. It creates thoughts that tie directly to the product and symbolize the globalization of the brand. 
I found it most interesting that the symbol has changed through the years. To me (and most of the world) the golden arches will always be recognizable, but there has been many changes, additions, and subtractions to the arches since their unveiling in 1968. I think the evolution of the arches is a little way for the brand to say ‘hey we’re still at the top’. There isn’t a need for change, as McDonald’s is and always will be the leader in global fast food.
 McDonald's - Fort Dells

https://www.wisdells.com/member-media/rest/mcdonalds_01.jpg

1 comment:

  1. I love this symbol. My kids always knew the "hamburger store" whenever we drove past.

    Interestingly, the "M" only came to existence in the late 1960's when the architecture for the building itself was changed. There is a cool BBC article on the symbol change here: http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20160830-mcdonalds-golden-arches-the-strange-story-of-an-icon

    The article also mentions the Freudian symbols contained within the double arch, which would explain my kids' reactions ;) .

    For me, I have always seen the "M" as a double "gateway" drawing on the arch in St. Louis--the gateway to the west and promotion of western expansion--just as Mc Donalds has spread worldwide.
    Now I need some fries!





    ReplyDelete