Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Strategic Butt Coverings!

That's right, you read correctly. Butt coverings. This is the controversial topic covered in Feminist Frenquency's video from the overarching topic of Tropes vs Women in Video Games.


Oh look! There's Laura Croft in the very first example, just as I mentioned in my discussion post about how the game takes place in third person view, where the player's eye is drawn to her meticulously crafted behind. What's the problem with this? Well, there wouldn't be so much outrage over it if in contrast the same design strategy was used for male characters - except it isn't. Similarly, I want to add that the first ever game where Lara Croft appeared is incessantly mocked - even by fans - because of her hilariously awful character model. Here, the game designers basically said through the design: "It doesn't matter if her boobs look super bad, as long as she has boobs for the boys to look at" and it's completely and utterly ridiculous to place that much emphasis on having that be a feature when they couldn't even animate it properly. In hindsight they should have just had her mildly endowed or even flat chested, but no - it was more important that she have ice cream cone-shaped breasts than none at all.

Atrocious. Found in an awesome article of the evolution of her character over time (source).
In contrast, along with the many other challenges facing people like myself - female gamers - we face the reality that male video game characters are not treated with such injustice. Which actually kind of sucks because I would love to get a clear glimpse at Ezio Auditore or Soldier 76's ass! I had not guessed that the title of the video would actually refer to the men of video games, who are explained in the video as having an excuse to not have their butts shown because the game creators want the people (read: men) to identify with those characters. But the women? Nope, just there to be eye candy, maybe move the plot along a bit at times.

I think its high time we take a closer look at the demographics of game consumers and also at the way we are portraying gender and sex in video games. The game industry would love to believe that it's just young straight men who play their games, and secondarily that they play them either to relate to a male character or want to stare at a sexy female. I can only name a handful of times that I've gone to a video game store and not been asked if I was buying the game for my boyfriend or brother. No! I'm buying the game for ME! By the way, when the next Assassin's Creed game comes out, can I get a lingerie skin for the male protagonist if I preorder the gold edition? Pretty please!

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed II by DoubleLeaf on DeviantArt.
Either everybody should have their junk hanging out for people to enjoy - or everybody should be covered properly. This trope doesn't even begin to cover my gripes with parts of the cosplay industry - whereby a lot of "popular" female cosplayers usually wear lingerie or bikini or sexy versions of armor or of regular characters. Sometimes they even cosplay a "sexy female" version of an original male character that wasn't ever sexualized at all! I'm never sure whether to be annoyed at these people, or just enjoy their creativity. I may never know which side I stand on. I just want to see more dude butts.

No comments:

Post a Comment